Sustainable Development Networking Foundation (SDNF) is a transformed entity of Sustainable Development Networking Program (SDNP 1997-2006) a project initiated by UNDP, Bangladesh Country Office under the umbrella program of Sustainable Environment Management Program (SEMP) and implemented by Bangladesh Institute of Development Studies (BIDS) of Ministry of Planning.
The project was administered by Ministry of Environment and Forest, Bangladesh. After the completion of the UNDP funded project period over 2006 an Individual trust was formed (SDNF) which registered under the Societies Registration Act of -1860 and continuing the works of SDNP.
SDNF is a not-for-profit, non-political, non-governmental, voluntary, research oriented and charitable foundation. As of its various activities, SDNF now running Bangladesh Internet Exchange (BDIX) a National Internet Exchange of Bangladesh, SDNF ISP a nationwide ISP, providing Colocation Service as Data Center and initiated different activities for local content development.
Objectives of the Foundation
1. To undertake awareness programs on sustainable development throughout the country for sound socio-economic development of the nation, general public and poor masses.
2. To help create conditions for the general public, civil society, public authorities like ministries, governmental agencies, institutions and corporations at all tiers of the government, businesses, private sector organisartions and individuals to work together towards facilitating quality and transparent governance through knowledge and information sharing and management .
3. To create instruments for generation of public opinion on matters of developmental importance and facilitate the exchange of experiences and follow-up of development action by the public authorities and civil society.
4. To create and support networking among individuals, groups and organisations through Information and Communications Technology (ICT) for exchange and management of sustainable development Information.
5. To facilitate social (e.g., health/education), economic, environmental, cultural and intellectual development of individuals and groups in the society through ICTs.
6. To facilitate the development of the private sector and commercial entities through e-learning and e-commerce.
7. To facilitate development of a Knowledge Management System.
8. To promote the culture and heritage of all people of Bangladesh.
9. To arrange national and international trainings, workshops, seminars and symposiums on sustainable development ans issues related to IT-based scientific, technical, social,economic, cultural and similar other activities.
10. To establish virtual libraries, on-line community knowledge bank, and information/ data bank for facilitating development at grass root, intermediate and national levels.
11. To publish relevant content as per mandate of the Foundation in various forms of publication (web, CD ROM, e-magazines printed form, booklet, books, journals and others).
12. Provide links to or disseminate ideas and success stories, best practice information about development activities and trends, funding sources, and commercial and research and training opportunities through various media
13. To undertake program for research on ICT for sustainable development
14. To collect and preserve administrative , historical and scientific maps, texts and information; digitize and disseminate them for the benefit of the general public, civil society, public authority and development actors in various fields.
15. To distribute computers, networking equipment, sustainable development and educational CDs, books, journals and similar other materials among the stakeholders for the purpose of improving the quality of education and life of the people.
16. To establish multi-purpose centers at village/community/local levels and regional stations in various locations of the country to promote the objectives of the Foundation including local level development in all spheres.
17. To establish, operate and maintain information centers, e-health centers, knowledge centers, community centers, and such other forms of institution, both general and technical, for the purpose of diffusion of useful knowledge among the people of specific target groups.
18. To establish various types of ICT-enabled dissemination mechanisms (TV, Radio and other media) in technical, organizational or collective forms for promotion of sustainable development activities at various levels including the grass root community.
19. To promote, develop, operate, manage and sustain any form of information exchange point (including but not necessarily confined to Internet Exchange, root-server, domain name server, country code top level server, network operation centers) nationally, regionally and locally through various technical and organisational means for the development of information management capabilities in the country.
20. To initiate, develop and maintain professional links with organisations and individuals with aims and objectives of similar nature to the Foundation both nationally and internationally.